History of building at 1 Hluboka street
The Library building is the youngest part of the Baroque building complex, and originally it was a jewish grammar school which was opened in 1727. After the closures of the Jewish college, seminary and grammar school in 1773, the school became the property of the government, and in the middle of the 19th century there began a notable reconstruction of the entire complex.
In the third floor, during the reconstruction, there was a temporary "theatre hall" where now is the childrens department of the town library.
In 1740 there was shown the first opera in Jihlava. In 1890 the grammar school was moved, and the empty building was bought by the town for the accomodation of soldiers.
This was followed by a period where the building was used for various purposes. It served as an apartment house, music school, family and girls school, town police station, and town archive.
It is worth mentioning the event in the year 1935, when the house number 49 on Jihlava square was bought by the firm Baťa. In 1925 there had been discovered renaissance frescoes. It was decided to preserve them, and move them to the former grammar school, into the then music hall. This action was surely, without doubt, a unique matter. During this action, 29 square metres of valuable frescoes, which originally covered "mazhaus" of Jihlavas pharmacy "U Svaté Anny", which was located in number 49, were rescued.
Careful restoration of the frescoes was done during the latest reconstruction of the building in Hluboka street, in 2003. During the second world war, the town library was temporarily located in the building. Afterwards there was here, for a short time, an archive, school for womens vocations, students hostel, and from 1950 there was regional office of national safety, which left the building in 1960. From 1961, the building became, for nearly forty years, location of state district archive in Jihlava.
In 2002 the reconstruction of the building for the purposes of the town library began. A lot of building as well as preservation works were done. The purpose of the reconstruction was to preserve as much of the original construction as possible, and at the same time, upgrade the building for the functions of a modern library.
On the 1st of october 2003, the newly reconstructed building was opened for the first visitors.